Sliced Tomatoes with Olive Oil and Basil

I debated whether I should even post a recipe for this one, seeing as the title is basically the full set of instructions in and of itself.  But I figured that even though there isn't a wealth of technique to be learned here, it could still help people come up with a simple and satisfying idea for an appetizer or side.

I kept seeing large beefsteak tomatoes at the market, the kind that just beg you to slice them down the middle to show off their massive diameter.  Admittedly, these don't look quite as nice as fancy heirlooms, which can have deep hues of green and orange, but even within the beefsteak species there's a variety of color to be found.

Dressing them as simply as possible reminds me of the best of the Mediterranean cuisine I've tasted.  From daily breakfasts that included tomato slices on the Camino de Santiago in Spain to the impressive freshness of the tomatoes with olive oil I tried at a team lunch at Taverna Cretekou in Alexandria, Virginia, I've been reminded time and time again that few things can rival fresh, high-quality ingredients served simply.

For this dish, I invested in the best olive oil I could find at the market, and limited my seasonings to that, basil, and salt.  These all serve to highlight rather than cover up the natural flavor the tomatoes, and it's a great way to step back and appreciate how great they are on their own.

Sliced Tomatoes with Olive Oil and Basil
2 large heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes
2 tbsp basil, chiffonade
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Slice tomatoes 1/4 in thick horizontally and arrange on platters.  Drizzle with olive oil and top with basil, salt, and pepper.  Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts