Italian Chickpea Salad




One of my latest "White Whale" dishes I'm determined to figure out is the chickpea salad from Bay Cities. If you've heard of this deli, it's probably because of their sandwiches, and that's with good reason - their sandwich is one of the best I've ever had (alongside this gem in Barcelona), due not in small part to their deliciously chewy bread and addictive hot pepper salad, which will probably be my next undertaking to try to make myself.

Lately though, just getting the sandwich hasn't been quite enough, as their deli counter is full of fresh and tasty side salads and antipasti to round out the meal.  The garbanzo salad is my go-to pick right now: simple, fresh, and delicious, with a vinegary acidity that's much more mild than a pickled item and some earthy notes from fresh oregano.  I've tinkered with this one a few times to try to get it right, but it was only after reading on their ingredients label that they use red wine vinegar that I think I really got it.  Try the recipe below and let me know what you think:

Italian Chickpea Salad
2 15-oz Cans of Chickpeas, Drained and Rinsed
1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, Diced
1/2 Red Onion, Diced
1/4 Cup Fresh Oregano Leaves
1-2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (To Taste)
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (To Taste)
Salt and Pepper (To Taste )

Stir together chickpeas, onion, red pepper, and oregano leaves in a large mixing bowl with a lid.  Drizzle with olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar, and sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.  The salad can be served immediately, but will taste best after being chilled for a few hours to allow the flavors to marry.

Comments

  1. This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this and some of your other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you like it - I'll keep the recipes coming :).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts